Who are we?
The Society is a Registered UK Charity, number 1075345. The Officers of the Society consist of a Chairman, Vice Chairman, Secretary and Treasurer. The Executive Committee consists of the Officers plus up to eleven other members of the Society.
We are governed by a Constitution which is lodged with the Charities Commission.
The Committee meets about every six weeks and Minutes are published on this site.
During 2011/2 the Committee has developed a Strategic Plan .
An Annual General Meeting, open to all Members and their guests, is held in June at a different venue in, or close to the boundary, of the National Park.
What are our aims?
To advance the enhancement, protection and conservation of the countryside and other amenities of the Brecon Beacons National Park for the benefit of the public.
To advance the education of the public in the ways in which to achieve the above including the provision of opportunities for healthy recreation and in particular walking.
Who can join?
Anyone over the age of 18 can join. You will get a copy of our magazine, The Beacon, published twice a year, and a quarterly programme of walks and events, which are free to Members. Click here to apply for membership and set up a Direct Debit.
Would you like to know more about us?
The Society was formed in 1992 and has Sir Chris Bonnington as its Patron. read more…………..
Would you like to help the Society?
We are always looking for volunteers to help with our work, whether on a specific project or on a more regular basis. If you are interested, please contact our Chairman, Jim Wilson.
What do we do?
- We keep a watching brief on all planning applications in the Park and comment on those of significance.
- We receive information about the state of the footpaths and other rights of way in the Park and bring footpath problems to the attention of the Park Authority
- We support the aims of the Forest Fawr Geopark, are represented on its Management Group and work in partnership on suitable projects.
- We are a member of the Brecon Beacons Trust, established to help people, communities and voluntary organisations achieve positive environmental conservation and enhancement within the Park.
- We supported the creation and help maintain the Beacons Way – a 100 mile linear walk across the Park
- We provide Guided Walks every weekend throughout the whole year in different areas of the Park a well as walks on some weekdays as well. Free to Members.
- We run a series of lively and informative Talks and Events throughout the year. Free to Members.
- We bring young people, who might not otherwise get the chance, to the Park to enjoy the benefits of the outdoors through the Art in the Park project.
- Working with Walls of Llangynidr we help preserve dry stone walls in the National Park.
- We led the work with the Park Authority to obtain Dark Skies status for the National Park.
- We work with the Brecon Beacons Park Authority on issues of importance within the National Park. We are members of the BBNPA’s Advisory Committees.
- We work with the Alliance for National Parks (Cymru), Friends of Pembroke National Park and the Snowdonia Society on the Welsh and UK Governments legislative programmes that directly affect the operation or, indeed, continued existence of national parks and respond to consultations.
- We also work closely with other organisations interested in protecting and promoting our National Parks, such as Natural Resources Wales (NRW) and the Brecon & Radnor branch of CPRW.
- We publish a twice yearly magazine The Beacon, distributed free to Members.